Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4 wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel studs

While doing a pad and rotor swap one of the wheel studs snapped off, so Im down to 4. The car is completely stock, no launching or racing. I know they have to pull the axle since its the right rear. Do i need to get this fixed or am I ok with 4? Mechanic wants like $200 to fix it. Im no too happy with that pricing.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to a parts store and ask for a Dorman 610-254 wheel stud. Cost ya about 2 or 3 bucks, and it's not hard to replace.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont have to pull the axle. Remove rotor,rotate axle until you see the hole behind plate and pound out broken stud.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Go to a parts store and ask for a Dorman 610-254 wheel stud. Cost ya about 2 or 3 bucks, and it's not hard to replace.
Thanks for the input, everything Ive read thus far says you have to pull the axle, after reading your post I googled it again and found a video. They removed the TCS sensor and pressed it by torquing it down with a washer and nut as a spacer. Does this sound correct?

If I could get this done without spending $200, Id be pumped, Im looking to get rims and tints and this repair is cutting into my budget

Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 05:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBlockHed
Thanks for the input, everything Ive read thus far says you have to pull the axle, after reading your post I googled it again and found a video. They removed the TCS sensor and pressed it by torquing it down with a washer and nut as a spacer. Does this sound correct?

If I could get this done without spending $200, Id be pumped, Im looking to get rims and tints and this repair is cutting into my budget

Thanks
Tools needed (besides normal sockets/ratchets/etc)
couple washers (for pulling stud in)
impact w/ socket
air compressor
hammer (to beat old studs out)

Those are the main things.. If you have those you can change the studs out on your own in around an hour or so (all four rims, all the studs). You could do one stud in about 20 minutes.

I have my stock studs I would sell you several of them for shipping costs. I recommend going to an ARP though. IIRC it is around 15-20$ for 5 (one set).

But yes... Take the sensor out (one bolt then it slides out) and you just rotate them and bang each out. Takes about 1.5 minutes.

200$ for this would be a rip off. If someone brought me the studs I would do it for them for 20$ if they would help out (jacking car up/etc).
Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help , I could def do that. How do I know when the new stud is pulled through enough? Just eye it up? The video mentioned u could screw it up pretty bad if you pull it through too much.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

It would be kind of hard to mess up.. Just pull it through until the head touches, you can just look at it.

I hit mine with an impact enough to pull it about 1/4 of the way through, waiting 15 seconds or so, another 1/4, waited, 1/4, etc.. The stud gets too hot you could snap it. Don't worry here, it isn't a big deal.. By the last set I was going half way, waiting 20-30 seconds, then going the rest.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wheel studs are easy to do. I used just a ratchet and a 3lb hammer (to knock the old studs out) to replace the studs on my Trailblazer rear axle for example. 6 per side, took me at most 5 min to do each side. An air impact would make it a little easier but it wasn't hard with a ratchet.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't even consider it with a ratchet... You could do it but I'm lazy.

I had a regular house hold hammer for mine, 3-4 hits each and they were out.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

One hit with the 3lb

I don't have an impact so a ratchet is all I have. Still didn't take long or that much effort to do, well at least in comparison to some of the other things that I've had to use a ratchet on!

Quick Reply: 4 wheel studs