Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end whine from 40mph and up

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end whine from 40mph and up

Just got the clutch replaced in my 98 WS6. Went with an aftermarket Monster Stage 1 setup, new hydraulics etc. Obviously its an M6 car, stock 3.42 gears, and minor bolts-ons (headers/exhaust and suspension mods).

Now, after breaking the clutch in and putting another few hundred miles with mixed, spirited driving, the rear end is whining. Have about 800 miles on the new clutch setup.

It starts at about 40 miles an hour and the pitches increases the faster you go. Change gears, same pitch. Let off the gas, no whine. Lots of gas, little whine. Just putting around and barely get on the throttle, whines like crazy.

Im guessing my rear end is going out. I know I can check the fluid and pull the cover off the differential and check, but I am not sure how to do either. I love working on cars and absorb any information that comes my way. I would appreciate any help i can get. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2013, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Anybody?

TTT
Old 03-30-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

It's just the fact of having a 7.5" 10 bolt in a 6 speed car. I've never owned one that didn't start whining after I started beating on it. You'll know if you break any teeth off because it will start screaming like a banshee and you can hear a clunking at lower speeds.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

The thing that worries me is I bought the car with 70k miles on it, I know the previous owner(s) beat on it. Here it is not even a week after getting the new clutch set up and its whining.

Im going to wait for my friend who goes to UNOH, an auto mechanic school, and were gonna pull of the diff cover and inspect.

whenever I take off i hear a roaring underneath my car. However, when i had my exhaust completely off from the Y pipe back, I never noticed the sound. The day i put my cat back on and weld it up, the sound started. Could that be pressure through the exhaust causing it to make that sound, or is it the clunking you explained? Also, if i barely tap the gas at low RPMs you can feel the car kinda shudder like maybe its hesitating? All-in-all, Im pretty sure my rear end is about to RIP. lol
Old 03-31-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Did you replace any of the bearings when you replaced the gears. What did your pattern look like?

The best way to find out where it's coming from is put the car on jack stands or a lift and use a stethoscope and listen to the outer wheels bearings, pinon bearings and carrier bearings with someone in the car accelerating to the speed you hear the whine at.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Did you replace any of the bearings when you replaced the gears. What did your pattern look like?
Ive not replaced any gears. All that was done recently was done in a shop. They replaced my clutch, slave cylinder and t/o bearing, and pilot bearing. Also serviced my transmission. Woohoo. lol But I do not know what the pattern looks like.

Quick Reply: Rear end whine from 40mph and up