Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stock 10 bolt/drivetrain questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Stock 10 bolt/drivetrain questions.

My shifter seems to jerk quite a bit when I get the car going in first gear... I don't know how normal it is but it also seems as if something isn't right in the drivetrain.

I changed my torque arm bushing, u joints, and trans mount, and still it feels a little bit loose which leads me to think something's up with my rear end.

I pulled the cover, changed the fluid, inspected the gears and didn't find anything.

Basically I am wondering if anyone else ever feels like theres some slack in the drivetrain/if it's normal. I also feel like sometimes when I put it in reverse I hear a little pop from back there and also when I take a right turn kind of slow and i'm accelerating, i also seem to hear a clunk. it's the same turn every time so I wasn't sure if it was a little pothole but I don't believe it is.

I don't/won't have the money for an aftermarket rear but I may be able to shell out the money for a new carrier. Any recommendations on these? I have a torsen in there right now.

FWIW: 1998 Trans Am M6.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think for your year, I would look into motor mounts first as a fix for the moving shifter.
kind of hard to give advice on the rear and noise without hearing it, given the cost of that kind of repair i say run it till it's obviously on it's way out. if you can run it on the highway and still hear the radio be happy.

Quick Reply: Stock 10 bolt/drivetrain questions.