Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end questions?

Hey guys im new to the forum and Fbody platform but i just got an 01 camaro ss with the slp package and the auburn rear end. For now the car is my DD and my only real plans for it are light bolt on stuff intake headers exhaust. The car is clean with 44k miles on it and seems to be in really good shape. Ive been doing some reading here and it seems like stock rears are total garbage on these cars especially on the M6. I dont plan on drag racing and i generally dont beat on my cars maybe the occasional stop light race. Is destroying the Rear something i should be worried about? What are my options if it does break? ive seen MWC and Brute speed offer the 9" rear in a pretty complete kit but 3k is a bit pricey right now? is just replacing the stock rear an option or is this just a go big or go home kinda thing.

Thank you for the help and i know im gonna get told to search and i did and i feel like i just keep reading horror stories and now im scared of breaking my car so i guess i just wanna be ready and informed for when it does
Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Someone has put 44k miles on your car without breaking the rear, so you do stand a chance on the street of having the rear holding up. The 10 bolt rears do break when banging gears on the street, so you may want to take it easy on the rear until you can afford a new rear. Over the years I've had many customers call me and tell me they tried all the bolt on parts that are made to try to strengthen up the 10 bolt, only to still have it break, so I suggest not putting money into the 10 bolt. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: rear end questions?