Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Y'all with Fab 9s - or Eric

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Y'all with Fab 9s - or Eric

Hey guys, Ive got one, love it. It has the little stubby brass porous metal vent on the drivers side axle tube...and it weeps and makes a mess. Not much, maybe a tablespoon of oil on the garage floor.

I filled it in NOV (cold) on flat ground and left the fill plug out over night to make sure it was not over full.

Am I just paying the price of having a full race rear? I dont mind if that is it, although id prefer they put the vent up on the diff bump so it didnt pick up fluid. But if Im overlooking something stupid id like to know.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Hey guys, Ive got one, love it. It has the little stubby brass porous metal vent on the drivers side axle tube...and it weeps and makes a mess. Not much, maybe a tablespoon of oil on the garage floor.

I filled it in NOV (cold) on flat ground and left the fill plug out over night to make sure it was not over full.

Am I just paying the price of having a full race rear? I dont mind if that is it, although id prefer they put the vent up on the diff bump so it didnt pick up fluid. But if Im overlooking something stupid id like to know.

Thanks.
Put a 90* fitting with a 3/8" barb/nipple an 1/8"npt in the axle tube(pointed towards Diff. ). Run a length of hose and put the brass breather piece in the end of the hose and secure it up high by the top of the fuel tank. You could also run it over to the fuel filler neck area and secure the breather hose behind the plastic panel in the driver side wheel well to the fuel filler neck (that's what I did).

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 07-24-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ This. We have 100s and 100s of these rearends out there and although not unheard of it is not that common for people to have a bit of mess from the vent. The axle tube is the correct place to put it as if it were closer to the diff unit the windage inside is worse and would cause excessive fluid to escape.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, thanks guys. It doesnt really bother me other than it just feels wrong to see a couple of drips on that beatiful metal sculpture. I will do this next time it is in the air.

I think I will put it by the filler neck so I can keep an eye on it and make sure it is clean.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you don't mind spend a little bit more you could put a K&N #62-1000 or 62-1090 crank case breather on the 3/8" ID hose and you should never need to worry about it clogging up. I just did this also.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need a barbed fitting and some hose.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't have any fluid find its way out on the streets but did on the road courses. Raised the breather via hose and nipple (heh) as mentioned above, totally dry now.

Quick Reply: Y'all with Fab 9s - or Eric