Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Diff swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Diff swap?

Hey guys so I've been wondering about this. My car currently has the auburn POS posi in it, pretty close to its last breath judging by all the clutch material I've found in the oil.. But I have a totaled ZR2 s10 with 3.73's and I believe it to be a gov lok eaton. I have not pulled the covers to inspect yet but wondered it it'd be worth the swap? I can get the 28 spline axles cheap and make the swap real easy? So correct me if I'm wrong, but a better posi? with steeper gears? I mean It sounds like a good upgrade to me...
Old 08-22-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Gov Locks are junk. Rebuild your Auburn.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Ive never heard of any fast cars talking about Gov Locks. "Yeah, my H/C/I LS1 with 400whp and Gov Lock with 3.73s blah blah blah." Not happenin.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:11 AM
Staging Lane

Well I guess that solves that issue.. I won't waste the time to tear into it, it can stay right where it is under that s10. I would rebuild the auburn, but everyone has told me that's not an option with those... It's in an '88, so idk if there is a newer model in the forth gens? But I would just fix mine if I could find the parts...
Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 AM
Staging Lane

Auburns are cone posis and are not rebuildable. If you have a torque wrench you can check the condition of your posi very easily. Raise one back wheel and measure the amount of force required to spin the wheel while the other one is on the ground. The GM spec is 37 to 74 ftlbs, use your torque wrench on a lug nut, clockwise or counter clockwise it doesn't matter. After you check one side do the same on the other side.
Rear ends generate metal, if your fluid wasn't changed for a long time the magnet could collect alot of debris and everything is still okay. Does the posi spin both tires all the time?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:06 AM
Staging Lane

I thought that's what I had read at some point.. Did not know of the ft pound specs ill have to try that. I was just made very nervous when I got the car and went through everything to find so much in the rear end.. As far as I know it still spins both, but I've only left visual proof a few times..

Quick Reply: Diff swap?