Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help identify strange dana 60

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identify strange dana 60

Ok guys I need your help. I took a strange dana 60 on trade and I'm trying to find out what all it has. I know it has 92-97 brake back plates which I will have to change to 98-02 back plates but what else can I look for to see what this setup came with? Detroit locker, true track, track lock, ABS. Also only has 10 bolts on cover? I believe watching the rotations it has 3.73 gears and the axis are marked S/T so I believe they are 35 spline street track axels. Any further insite on these or also what leas I will need to do to install these would be a great help. I have a stock drive shaft and 4l60e but plan to switch to an 80e soon. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

The Strange S60 will bolt in just like the stock 10 bolt, it will even use the stock lcas and torque arm. The axle tubes are bigger so the spring perches are higher, this will raise the rear of the car up if the stock upper spring rubber isolator is used. To keep the rear of the car stock height do the 'hose mod'. https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...d-writeup.html
Strange sells the rear with either a Eaton Truetrac, Strange S-Trac, Detroit Locker or a spool. You'll have to remove the cover to see which one you have, the cover gasket is a Felpro RDS6014.
You'll need a new drive shaft, give Carl at CRP a call, he knows the correct length and which yoke you'll need.
ABS if installed is just like the 10 bolt, 3 channel with sensor in the top of the housing or 4 channel with axle mounted reluctors.
For more info on the rear check out these Strange install documents:

http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/Stra...g-warranty.pdf

http://www.midwestchassis.com/upload...ate_f-body.pdf
Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks Tom94TA! That was full of good info. Also what would I be looking for when looking inside? I have pics but I'm having a hard time uploading.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

As far as what to look for inside, I would check the torques on all fasteners per the spec in that one ref. Note the ring gear bolts are right hand thread on a Dana 60. The Eaton Truetrac is a square edged coffee can shaped unit, the other diffs I mentioned can be seen in this video from Strange:
This ones good too.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Tom94TA your the man!!! So I now know I have the Dana S60 with S-Track differential, 3.73 gears, and S/T 35 spline axels. Thanks again Tom you really helped me out!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

dkeets, glad I could help. Mine has the S-Trac also, Carl told me it's better than the Eaton Truetrac. You'll love the S60 it's built like a brick **** house.

Almost forgot, Strange sends sway bar end links with the rear that have a spacer thats 3.5" long instead of the stock 2.25" ones. Not sure if they're really necessary though but I put 'em on.

Last edited by Tom94TA; 11-04-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Help identify strange dana 60