Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

slp exhaust rubbing against driveshaft...now there's a groove in it

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slp exhaust rubbing against driveshaft...now there's a groove in it

okay so within the past 2 months I've had the entire rear end rebuilt. that requires the driveshaft to be removed, correct? and to remove the driveshaft, my slp loudmouth would have to be moved out of the way, right?

I'm asking because today, I got an expert mechanic at my jaguar dealership change the oil, and I told him about the vibration problem. He looked under the car, and instantly saw the fact that the resonator was rubbing against the driveshaft, and because of that, there is now a groove in it. He said that that is definitely the problem.

I want to put the blame on my mechanic who did the rear end job, because if in fact the exhaust is moved when taking apart the rear end, then he put it back together incorrectly, causing the rubbing, causing the wear on the driveshaft, causing the vibration that I've been feeling ever since that time period when I had the rear end done, and new wheels and tires put on. I've already had the wheels balanced twice and all that, so I'm 99% positive it's not wheel related anymore. what do you guys think? and it's not just a discoloration, it looked like my fingernail could catch on it (i haven't tried, however).

I will punch my mechanic in the head if he caused this, and demand a free replacement because I am 100% entitled to it

Last edited by giosoccer20; 11-06-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

The aluminum (I presume that's what you have) is only about 0.06 thick. So it's very thin. I have seen them driven with grooves in them, but I've seen them break also. It's best to replace it. With the way these cars are designed most of the time the exhaust is very close to the DS, and one minor mis-adjustment would cause a collision. I do think it is the mechanics fault if it never rubbed before, however before you get upset it was likely an honest mistake. He probably adjusted it while on a lift, and they weren't touching, when the car sat down and loaded the suspension, they found a way to touch at some point during the driving process. That may not be so obvious to someone who doesn't work on these cars a lot. Seems like something very minor to overlook.

Quick Reply: slp exhaust rubbing against driveshaft...now there's a groove in it