Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ford 9" Failing

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ford 9" Failing

Got a new center section from a very reputable shop this winter, it came in a box and the yoke was damaged from someone dropping it. I sent it back for a new yoke, installed everything, and broke it in very easily for ~200 miles. I go to change the 80/90 oil and checked it with a magnet and nothing was ferrous, but looking in the pan I saw all of these bronze/brass fillings...I am NOT happy to say the least. It's a yukon aluminum through bolt with a Tru-Trac in it. Mild 460rwhp. What do i need to do now and what is causing these fillings?

Remember it barely has 200 miles on it!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see any cause for alarm. What I can see in the picture looks normal.

Carl
Old 07-21-2014, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the reply Carl. If this is normal should i expect the next oil change to be the same? Maybe i'm just worrying too much but it seems like an excessive amount in my opinion. What are the shavings coming from do you think?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 89ROC-Z
Thanks for the reply Carl. If this is normal should i expect the next oil change to be the same? Maybe i'm just worrying too much but it seems like an excessive amount in my opinion. What are the shavings coming from do you think?

All rear ends will always have fine particles when servicing them.
The amount and/or the size of the particles is what helps determine if its normal or excessive.

I recommend straining the oil through some fine cloth like panty hose to catch the fragments. Then post a picture of the particles You have.

Also if You buy a drain plug with a magnet on it that can help when the next service is due.

Carl
Old 07-22-2014, 05:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The fine particles look absolutely normal for a new center section. Some of those larger chunks I see should be examined closer, but nothing I would be too concerned with. How is the rear for noise?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
All rear ends will always have fine particles when servicing them.
The amount and/or the size of the particles is what helps determine if its normal or excessive.

I recommend straining the oil through some fine cloth like panty hose to catch the fragments. Then post a picture of the particles You have.

Also if You buy a drain plug with a magnet on it that can help when the next service is due.

Carl
Thanks Carl, I'll have to do that next change, it's already in a barrel.

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
The fine particles look absolutely normal for a new center section. Some of those larger chunks I see should be examined closer, but nothing I would be too concerned with. How is the rear for noise?
Some of those larger chunks are from previous changes in other eqipment, but the fines are from the rear.

Quick Reply: Ford 9" Failing