Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Cross Shaft Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Shaft Stuck

I've got an LS swapped 82 Silverado with a 12 bolt open diff that I'm trying to replace the axle seals/bearings on. Should be a really easy job but I can't even get started on it. I removed the cross pin(bolt/pin that holds the cross shaft in the carrier) and the cross shaft would only move about 1/8th" up and down but would rotate freely. After closer examination I realized the tip of the cross pin was broken off in the cross shaft. It wasn't really doing anything since I could rotate the shaft, but I drilled through the end of the cross shaft until I reached the recess where the cross pin rides and got the rest of it out. Still the shaft wouldn't travel any further out either way. It seems like the cross shaft is mushroomed on either side of the spider gears, as that's the only explanation I could find for my situation. I've tried persuading it with a hammer and punch but all that does is wedge it into the spider gears. What are my options? Try to press it out with a two jaw puller and risk breaking the carrier? Using a cutting torch to burn it out and get slag all in my pinion/ring gear? Just keep beating on it and rotating it? I've also tried a sawzall with the special blades for cast iron but I had to trim it down so much to fit that once it got about 1/8" through it would catch and bend the blade. I am going to replace the spider gears and pin with a lunchbox locker so as long as I can save the carrier and gears I don't care how I get this pin out.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Time for a posi unit?
Old 06-24-2015, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the cross shaft out, or enough of it to get the axles out. I determined it was only stuck on the spider gear opposite of where the retaining pin is.

I just used a 1/4 drill bit and drilled through the cross shaft 4 times right above the gear it was stuck on. The material that was left was small enough I could cut through it with a hammer and chisel then the rest of the shaft slid right out.

Now that I have the carrier removed I can use a press to get the rest of the shaft out. I'm replacing the spider gear assembly with a locker so I don't have this problem agian.

Quick Reply: Cross Shaft Stuck