Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Have a problem with my rear end...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a problem with my rear end...

Okay, so I have a 98 trans am Ws6 m6.
Just paid a shop to install a whole new carrier, motive 4.10 gears, and the motive install kit. I had a rear end howl, and paid a well known local shop here to install it. The install went great, and my problem was the axle was pitted. So I told him to put it all back together and ill fix it at home. Ordered me a new axle, and it came in. Put the axle in, beat the the bearing with seal in, put it all back together.

Took it out for a test drive. All was perfect, no sounds, nothing. Quiet as could be.

Except it had a leak, so I tore it all back down, replaced the bearing with seal again, and go out again.

Now I have a high pitched whine only whine cruising. Let off it stops, give it more gas and it stops. You guys have any idea what it could be? I'm stressing over this..
Old 06-24-2015, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines been doing that ever since the 3.73 swap a year ago. Its been through countless burnouts and random light to light action and it actually quieted down one day on my way home from work on the highway lol

Idk if its a bad thing or not tbh, but I'm hoping someone chimes in with some usable info.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Yeah I hope someone else does chime in. Its driving me crazy. I might get under my car later and check to see if the pinion nut backed off.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

1 make sure the fluid level in good! 2 make sure the bearings are installed properly all the way on and not pitted or the axle isn't. 3 make sure it's all tight, right and torque to spec. Had this issue with my 8.5 after putting 4.10s.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have a problem with my rear end...

My fluid level is def good, I've checked multiple times. Shop checked everything twice supposedly and said everything was in spec.

They said it was because I went with cheapo gears USA standard I think (Yukon rejects) the same thing happened last time they installed gears for me, so when I go with an aftermarket rear I'm going to set them up.

Did the OP ever find anything out?

Quick Reply: Have a problem with my rear end...