Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Upgrading stock M6 Firebird Rear Gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upgrading stock M6 Firebird Rear Gears

Hello all,

Working on a 95 firebird formula that was recently purchased. Car has a 6spd and the factory rear gear which I believe is a 3.43 or something close to that. The car has quite a few boltons but the gear I believe is hurting it the most now. Was wanting to upgrade to a 4.10.

I've done a couple gears swaps on the ford 8.8's so it wont be too new but was wondering where to buy a good gear kit at? Are there any gears kits that offer everything from the gear and new bearings? Is there a basic write up somewhere of the gear swap on a 10 bolt diff? Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

We can get you a master kit and a gear, give us a call. (309)382-6252
Old 07-08-2015, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

No difference really in the 10 bolt and an 8.8 other then physical size. If you can do one you can do the other. Id recommend Motive Gear GM75410 for your car and ive always had good luck with Ratech rebuild kits but have used Motive in the past as well.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Awesome sounds like its pretty straight forward then. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch the I.D. of the pinion shims in the kit you get. The I.D. of the shims in the Richmond kit I used for my old 10 bolt were too small causing the shim to sit on the pinion shaft radius. This caused the pinion bearing to not seat completely, really messed me up till I figured out what was happening.

Pick up a Ratech solid pinion spacer while you're at it.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by guppymech
Watch the I.D. of the pinion shims in the kit you get. The I.D. of the shims in the Richmond kit I used for my old 10 bolt were too small causing the shim to sit on the pinion shaft radius. This caused the pinion bearing to not seat completely, really messed me up till I figured out what was happening.

Pick up a Ratech solid pinion spacer while you're at it.
Good to know thanks. On the 8.8's you normally get buy using the factory pinion shims so that will save us some time on install to make sure we get that sorted out right.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SnakeEaterTA
Good to know thanks. On the 8.8's you normally get buy using the factory pinion shims so that will save us some time on install to make sure we get that sorted out right.
I think the original pinion shim is the best thickness on the 10 bolt too. Mine was chewed up on the used rear I bought so I had to make do with the shims in the overhaul kit.
Sounds like you have a handle on it...Good Luck with the build!

Quick Reply: Upgrading stock M6 Firebird Rear Gears