Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear problem

I have a strange s60 with less then 6k I started getting clunking knocking noises that I thought were the ball joints then while on my way home tonight I started hearing an audible knocking that seemed to be in the rear end. When o got home there was grease all over the tail of the rear end eith an occasional drip. I went at got Lucas oil and diff oil. And it was around a quart low. I'm still getting the noise. Is. My rear shot?
Old 07-09-2015, 08:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gotgrowth
I have a strange s60 with less then 6k I started getting clunking knocking noises that I thought were the ball joints then while on my way home tonight I started hearing an audible knocking that seemed to be in the rear end. When o got home there was grease all over the tail of the rear end eith an occasional drip. I went at got Lucas oil and diff oil. And it was around a quart low. I'm still getting the noise. Is. My rear shot?
The only way to determine what is damaged is to open it up and start with a visual. Sometimes its found a vent was plugged and needs cleaned as well as changing the fluid and resealing.

Get it to a professional mechanic that specializes in rearends and have it towed there.

hope this helps,
Carl
Old 07-10-2015, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgrowth

I would strongly suggest to check the bolt torque on the LCAs, PHB, and torque arm. More often than not the suspension parts will cause the noises like you describe, not the rearend itself.

From what I see in the pic your leak appears to be from the 3ch ABS sensor up top, there is a sealing o-ring on it that may have been damaged during the install. Clean the housing off with brake cleaner real well in order to diagnose the leak better, and check again after about 50-100 miles.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

I was having problems with bolts that fell off like the ones in the pic and also a control arm bolt That worse its way out also the noise goes away at certain speeds
Old 07-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LbXFMd4lqk&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by gotgrowth; 07-10-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: rear problem