Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

broken tooth on pinion gear, reuse crush shelve & bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken tooth on pinion gear, reuse crush shelve & bearings?

broken tooth on pinion gear, reuse crush shelve & bearings?

car is a 99WS6 w/ 125K miles w/ GM 10 bolt. (I think the diff. is a eaton)?

I have a partiale tooth broken off the pinion gear the ring still has all it's
teeth.

drained oil w/ a paint screen funnel did'nt see any specs just the small piece of
pinion gears tooth.

if I remove axels, shims (keep shims arranged right and left) and diff.
if bearings and races look good can all these parts be reused alone w/ a used stock ring and pinion set of the same gear ratio.

since I don't have a impact wrench to start a new crush sleve can I just reuse old
CS?

basically after cleaning houseing just do a gear set swap w/ used gears and reuse
all other parts?

I have been told that if used gears are swapped in there will roar however
only for a few miles then after the gear mesh together will quiet down is this true
or false?

I would like to do as much work as I can then if needed have the expert tweak the setup.
Thanks for any helpfull rebuild advice
Attached Thumbnails broken tooth on pinion gear, reuse crush shelve & bearings?-diffcunks.jpg   broken tooth on pinion gear, reuse crush shelve & bearings?-diff6brokepiniongear.jpg   broken tooth on pinion gear, reuse crush shelve & bearings?-diff6brokepiniongea3r.jpg  

Last edited by qwik219d9; 07-21-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:05 PM
Teching In

anyone w/ any helpfull rebuild advice
Old 07-22-2015, 06:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

parts can be re-used,although not recommended. You should have a shim under the pinion large bearing,that shim and bearing should put you close to proper pinion depth and maybe not. When the proper pinion bearing preload is attained,that used crush sleeve might not have enough pressure against the pinion small bearing to keep it from rotating on the pinion. The carrier side shims might not be adequate to facilitate proper lash with the new used gearset. Gearset noise generally does not lessen.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely not!

If you use a different gear set, you need to properly set them up (pinion depth and back-lash). That includes a new crush sleeve to properly set bearing pre-load. You can re-use the bearings, but I don't recommend it.

I don't see why an impact makes you want re-use a one time only part. All you need is a breaker bar and some strength.

To do this right and have the gears last, you need a rebuild kit. There's no such thing as partially setting it up for a expert to finish it up. Honestly you would probably be ahead buying a complete used rearend.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:47 AM
Teching In

good advice decided to buy rebuild kit and axel bearings then have a expert do the rebuild.

is this a decent gear for 10 bolt rebuild car makes 380rwhp 390rwt A4

thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181546604328?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quick Reply: broken tooth on pinion gear, reuse crush shelve & bearings?