Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

TERRIBLE vibration---Here's what it really was----you'll be surprised....!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default TERRIBLE vibration---Here's what it really was----you'll be surprised....!!

So I posted this thread about a very bad vibration I was having reaching about 65-70mph.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...post-26-a.html

Figured it was the crushed and deteriorated torque arm bushing. My friend replaced it. Called me to tell me the vibration is gone..but only in city driving up to about 55 mph, he never took it on the highway. BUT while he was working on things he saw that my collectors had a lot of exhaust leaks. Drivers side...all 4 primaries of that collector where they attach together were cracked all the way around each pipe. Plus a few holes from being 13 years old and bottoming out over the years. And I have been having the drivers side 02 sensors failing continuously over the past year. Also, no more than 130 miles for a full tank of gas.....running horribly rich on that side. So I was like..."COOL, you found my issue with my 02 sensors failing on the drivers side."

ACTUAL CAUSE OF THE VIBRATION:
So I ordered some Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT headers.....came home from being overseas three weeks ago and went to my storage unit pick my car up. First thing I did was hit the highway.......SAME EXACT VIBRATION ISSUE . I called him to tell him the torque arm bushing didn't help at all. He said...well after we install the new headers we will check pinion angles.
We installed my new headers, put in new 02 sensors......and I took it for a drive with open headers to the exhaust shop. Highway doing 65-70....ZERO VIBRATION. I figured it was so damn loud with open headers I probably didn't notice the vibration. After they were done with my exhaust (re-attaching my Y pipe to the new collectors).....I took it on the highway.....WALLA-----ZERO VIBRATIONS.....all the way to 130mph. Smooth as glass. We never checked pinion angles.

SO....it was the exhaust leaks that were causing massive engine vibrations at those speeds......I guess massive misfiring only on the drivers side 4 cylinders causing the engine to go way out of balance and shake, then the tranny shook and the whole car vibrated ridiculously.

Cliffs: Exhaust leaks on one side were the issue....causing the engine to be completely out of balance when it would misfire at hwy speeds.....shaking the hell out of the engine, and vibrating terribly.

Who would have thought......Hope it helps someone in the future......

Old 07-29-2015, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to see that your vibration problem is fixed.

The headers that cracked were Grot's? I have a set on my car, they're holding up well considering they're not stainless but I also only have 20K on my car.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Grifter
Glad to see that your vibration problem is fixed.

The headers that cracked were Grot's? I have a set on my car, they're holding up well considering they're not stainless but I also only have 20K on my car.
Yes....Grotyohan. Literally the last set of LT headers ever made by Roger Grotyohan.

GREAT headers....best quality of any header Ive seen....even any today. They were twice as heavy and solid as my new Speed Engineering headers.

I put 173,000 miles on them since 2002 with my last engine...then 1 1/2 years on this new 390ci engine...........and they were banged up like you would not believe......

They did a great job for me over 13 years.

Little history of Grot: A company called Tubular Automotive built and owned the jigs that made all the different size and models of Grot LTs. When Roger Grotyohan started ripping people off and stealing deposits and scamming people into sending him money for large orders.....then disappeared.....Tubular Automotive was sitting there with these jigs and no customers to make headers for. QTP LT headers were made from Roger Grotyohans jigs....nobody knew they were buying perhaps the best LT headers ever made when they were buying QTPs.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hoping this is my issue.
got a slight shudder at idle or Moving at 15mph.

Quick Reply: TERRIBLE vibration---Here's what it really was----you'll be surprised....!!