Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need help with spec'ing out a 9" rear.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with spec'ing out a 9" rear.

So I've broken my second 10-bolt, and I think it's time to put a 9" in this thing because I'm sick of the constant worry. I was giving a friend a ride, and it broke on the 1-2 shift.

My car is full bolt-on making around 350whp. My goals are in the future is a full heads/cam build, making right around the 500whp range. It's 90% street, 10% drag strip, 10% road course. The car is an all-rounder, I love to turn, and I love to drag race, and it's definitely street raced. When it's driven on the street, it's driven hard, it's not a weekend cruiser, but a weekend warrior.

With all that being said, I think I've decided on the Quick Performance fabbed 9". I want to keep the rear as light as possible, while still being strong. Everything suspension I've done is Chromoly, so weight is important to me.

There are a few options on this rear end that I am unsure of. I will be using factory rear brakes, so I'm assuming that I'd want "Billet GM flush" housing ends correct?

Also, I'm assuming I should upgrade to 1/2" wheel studs, or are the factory size 12mm studs ok?

NOW, the center section is where I can't decide on. QP has the Strange aluminum case, the Moser aluminum thru-bolt case, or the Yukon aluminum thru-bolt case

Can anyone explain to me what thru-bolt means and why it's stronger? With my power goals, is a thru-bolt necessary, or is the Strange aluminum case ok?

Next question is what spline axles should I got with? Factory is 28, so I was thinking 31 should be fine, or should I go bigger?

For the posi, I was thinking an Eaton Trutrac, opinions?

They have a bunch of options for the yoke, is the billet 1350 ok? If I want to use my factory driveshaft, will I need an adapter? I plan on upgrading the driveshaft in the future, but money is tight and I can only afford to do the rear right now.

And they also have a bunch of options for the pinion support, which would I want here?

Last question is If I buy the fab 9 from QP, along with their assembled center section, can I literally just bolt everything together and install? Nothing else required?

TIA,

Chris,

Last edited by ChrisSingh90; 08-21-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

You say you want to keep it light as possible but you are looking at a stamped housing that takes one adapter to attach another adapter to it to run a stock style torque arm. You are looking at one of the heaviest options on the market. With that being said depending how you out fit our fabricated nine inch we can keep it to a similar weight of the factory ten bolt.

The thrubolt is stronger because the cap bolts go all the way through instead of just bolts into the threaded case. At your power level no you don't need this option but it is nice to have. Our number one seller is the Stranges HD case which contains a unique oil channel to maximize oil flow to the pinion bearings for extended use.

For axle spline that all determines on what differential you choose. Some are only available for 31 SPL, we actually don't offer anything 31SPL anymore and have a Trutrac style differential that is 35SPL and proven to be stronger than all the similar on the market but don't cost as much as a Wavetrac or S-Trac. Though the S-Trac is still our number one seller due to it's proven track record.

You can use your stock driveshaft but it ends up a little short and the next biggest weak link. You may need a conversion U-Joint depending on what yoke you purchase. Strongly suggest a driveshaft with your purchase as a driveshaft that is to short could creates vibrations.

Housing ends depend on what brakes you are using. This is something you should discuss with whomever you purchase from because there are so many options for now, or even the future of your build that should be discussed when making a purchase as big as this.

We do recommend going to at least 1/2 studs over 12mm they are 40% stronger according to Strange which is what we use for all our rear end packages. We'd also recommend adding 5/8 stud pattern as it is much easier to do it now than later.

As far as assembling it we ship two to three a week that leave non assembled. It isn't hard but you will need a press and some know how, we also ship three to four a week assembled as well because some customers do not have access to a press.

If you want to explore other options our housings are the only housing that bolts back in just how the factory ten bolt came out. This makes installation a breeze, no zip ties to hold on brake lines or exhaust clamps to mount your factory swaybar.

We'd be more than happy to go over options with you, we offer a non refundable deposit and pay as can afford. Give us a call at (309)382-6252

Last edited by MidwestChassis2; 08-21-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The baddest, lightest best torque arm setup you can get for a 9 inch. That's why I ordered a fab 9 from MWC. No bulky adapters that hit & bang the floor. Their unit is also direct bolt in. The QP units do require some extra drilling, at least a few guys that bought QP reported that. Their DS loop is awesome, tucks up perfect! MWC quality is top notch!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...y-Complete.htm

Take a look at Moser's fabricated 9 inch, which is the same weight at the 10 bolt. It comes with an awesome chromoly torque arm and transmission crossmember. This torque arm follows the contours of the F Body transmission tunnel, and has clearance even on lowered F Bodys. You won't find a better combination, plus is ships two days after the order is placed! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-26-2015, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
The baddest, lightest best torque arm setup you can get for a 9 inch. That's why I ordered a fab 9 from MWC. No bulky adapters that hit & bang the floor. Their unit is also direct bolt in. The QP units do require some extra drilling, at least a few guys that bought QP reported that. Their DS loop is awesome, tucks up perfect! MWC quality is top notch!
Thanks for the kind words and glad to hear you are happy but not a surprise.

Orders shipping out daily.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't beat MWC procucts. Coupled with Eric's knowledge makes them #1. I never see any of the other venders at the LS races helping racers, not just there customers butanyone there.

Quick Reply: Need help with spec'ing out a 9" rear.