Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

M6 TA dragging/vibrating in first and second. Rear end problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M6 TA dragging/vibrating in first and second. Rear end problem?

As stated above, 99 TA with M6 trans. When I take off in first and give a little extra throttle, I get a dragging/vibrating feeling for a second or two.

When I shift into second it does it again sometimes. It's not every time I drive it does this, but it's becoming more noticeable.

What could it possibly be? A bad differential or bad ring and pinion?

I have stock 3.42s

Any help would be great. I really want to take care of this problem.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

What do you mean dragging? Put it in nuetral with no ebrake, does it roll freely?
Old 12-28-2015, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

It rolls freely. Just when I give it gas in first and second it feels like somethings grinding and vibrating. Almost like the Rear end is grinding. It's really hard to explain, but it shakes the car.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:51 PM
9 Second Club

Sent u a PM
Old 12-28-2015, 03:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Make sure your transmission mount is not broken, as they are very prone to failure if you have a factory style transmission mounted torque arm. A broken mount will usually just make a clucking sound though, so I would also examine your torque arm to make sure it isn't bending. The factory torque arms are prone to bending approx six inches ahead of the rear, when this happens it throws the pinion angle way off. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-28-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Check universal joints good a well. It would make sense for you to have some vibration through 1st and 2nd when there's more load and the pinion is rotating upward, especially if you have a joint on it's way out...and no, not the kind of joint you smoke....I know some of you guys were thinking it, lol!
Old 12-28-2015, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
Check universal joints good a well. It would make sense for you to have some vibration through 1st and 2nd when there's more load and the pinion is rotating upward, especially if you have a joint on it's way out...and no, not the kind of joint you smoke....I know some of you guys were thinking it, lol!
It's not really a vibration. It's like a grabbing/grinding noise. Very hard to explain but I definately feel it.

Going to block it up and spin the wheels and see if it does it. Also gonna check everything you guys suggested and also crack open the 10 bolt to look for shavings.

A joint would be great now by the way haha! I'll definitely have one when I get this problem solved.....oh wait maybe it will help me solve the problem....

Quick Reply: M6 TA dragging/vibrating in first and second. Rear end problem?