Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 Bolt Setup. Trouble Reading Gears.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 03:04 PM
MWB
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by homemade87
Crush sleeves when you get close you have to move very very very slow when you get close . I have started using solid bushing now when I do a gear set . It has the shims so you can set preload and just torque the nut down . I have come to like that method better .

If you already have the crush sleeve just use it . If you have problems you may want to consider the solid bushing .

The only way for a crush sleeve is by hand with a cheater bar . If it is under the car on jack stands I use a piece of angle attached to 2 of the u join mounts with a v notch so the socket will fit and bungee it up to the bottom of the vehicle so it will push up on the bottom . Then I use a 1/2" breaker bar and push with my foot . No way you will do it by hand under the vehicle . Don't be surprised how hard it will be to move it . Just take your time . Hope this helps and good luck .
What's the typical size and material of a preload spacer? I might just make one at work.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The spacer almost looks like a crush sleeve but does not have the crush in the center . About 3/16 to 1/8 thick .The spacer will come with some shims so you can fine tune the preload . Without shims it will be a little more of a task to get it the proper length if just trimming it but not impossible . Take a look st summit . I am sure there are some pictures .
Also I do know there is a truck spacer and one for a car for a 12 bolt .
Old 01-22-2016, 09:27 PM
MWB
Teching In

The spacer almost looks like a crush sleeve but does not have the crush in the center . About 3/16 to 1/8 thick .The spacer will come with some shims so you can fine tune the preload . Without shims it will be a little more of a task to get it the proper length if just trimming it but not impossible . Take a look st summit . I am sure there are some pictures .
Also I do know there is a truck spacer and one for a car for a 12 bolt .
Got it all together and ended up using a crush sleeve. Had a 80point ratchet and a 4 ft pipe because my impact had a hard time getting it and my breaker bar wouldn't fit... one click at a time. thanks for all the help guys! here's a shot of the whole diff together. http://imgur.com/DHEiCZ9

Last edited by MWB; 01-22-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good deal , Sounds like you took your time and did thinks like you should . Doing a rear there is more to it than turning a wrench . You have to be patient and take your time .
Old 01-23-2016, 09:34 AM
MWB
Teching In

Good deal , Sounds like you took your time and did thinks like you should . Doing a rear there is more to it than turning a wrench . You have to be patient and take your time .
I have to say, it was actually harder for me than doing the motor swap for some reason.

Quick Reply: 12 Bolt Setup. Trouble Reading Gears.