Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need some gear ratio advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some gear ratio advice.

Current setup: stock LT1 (full bolt-ons) and 4.10s.

It was fun for a while, but I'm currently in the middle of swapping the LT1 for a built 6L (2011 L96, stock crank/rods, Mahle pistons, stage 3 head porting, custom cam, LS3 intake) 150 wet shot (until I save for boost) no idea where the WHP will be at but obviously the 10 bolt is going to gone soon.

My thoughts on the 4.10 is that its good for dig race but once I get to third gear I basically give up all my power and it just doesn't pull like I know it could.

After the swap, I think its safe to say I'll be making 100-150 more WHP? Doesn't this warrant that I should pick a higher ratio? I'm thinking 3.73s would not be enough and that the 3.42 would actually be a better gear for 60mph pulls and maybe even digs..

I'm just looking for your experiences with this.. What do you guys run?
Old 02-01-2016, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read something like this the other day, and I'm not sure where you guys are getting the idea that a lower gear pulls less hard as you get up into the higher speeds?

Ideally you would want the lowest gear you can get away with for your desired top MPH

It doesn't say what transmission you're using, but automatic guys seem to really like 3.73s for all around street duty, 6 speed guys more so 4.10s (4.30s are far superior behind a 6 gear IMO of course)

Edit: in short it basically comes down to how fast you want to go

Last edited by SteenH; 02-01-2016 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with that engine and spray you don't need a ton of gear , I think as long as you keep it 3.90 or under you wont run out of rpm's at the traps but that's just my gut . Make a couple passes with your 4.10's to see if it makes it through the traps ( assuming a4 car) just don't spray it till its moving to give the 10 bolt a chance lol

Quick Reply: Need some gear ratio advice.