Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End problems ....01 Trans Am ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End problems ....01 Trans Am ?

so first off I had the gears changed a year ago from stock to 373s The car is only driven in the summer months so I may have put 2000 miles on it since to get a change now I noticing a rumble traveling at highway speeds when I let off the throttle i'm thinking either the driveshaft is not balanced correctly ?maybe the backlash was not set properly when they put the gears in? there is also a clunk when going from a coast to A fast throttle down sounds like pinion could be to loose? And and now I notice with the weight off the back tires on jackstands I'm able to pull and push the tires in and out slightly and there's a clicking noise I'll post a video of that oh and I almost forgot looking at the rear and I noticed that The left tire is way closer to the bump stop in the right is this due to the rear and not being aligned properly? Any insight would be awesome thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These rears have c-clips so the clicking may be normal depending on how pronounced it is.

When you say the left is closer to the tire do you mean horizontally or vertically? If it is horizontally it means your rear may be out of alignment with the front. If its vertically then you may have some sagging on that side.

As for the rumbling, is it new or has it always done it? I'd start by going underneath and retorque everything down (suspension, u-joints, etc), check pinion angles (you can even download an app for your phone to do this), test it, and then start worrying about the rear internals and the drive shaft. Basically start at the cheapest and work your way up to possibly having to fix the rear.

Quick Reply: Rear End problems ....01 Trans Am ?