Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need a rear end for a protouring car

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need a rear end for a protouring car

Hi all, I'm in the middle of my protouring build, it's a 1978 trans am. I put together a nice little forged 5.3, with intentions for a little boost in the future. I haven't purchased the tranny yet but it's going ton be either a t56 magnum or a tr6060 from a new camaro. Im going to leave it under 700 hp, it will be a daily driver, so I'm thinking 3.73 rear gear, but I'm open to opinions. I have stock rear-end, not sure if it's a pontiac or chevy unit (I'm really not familiar with rear ends, I'm from the German car world, sorry lol, I've built many Lsx's, but never messed with rearends) I believe the stock length from flange to flange is 62.5 inches (off of a quick Google search). I'm going with a bolt on 4 link from ride tech. Any suggestions on rear ends? A moser unit? Where can I get one on this spec?

as always any help is much appreciated! Thanks
Old 04-05-2017, 10:40 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Ride Tech have a supplier to make sure it works with their 4 link ?
Old 04-05-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onfire
Does Ride Tech have a supplier to make sure it works with their 4 link ?
I'm honestly not sure. It was designed to be bolt on, so I assume if the rear end of the aftermarket one has the same dimentions as the original, it would also be bolt on
Old 04-05-2017, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by moekluse
Hi all, I'm in the middle of my protouring build, it's a 1978 trans am. I put together a nice little forged 5.3, with intentions for a little boost in the future. I haven't purchased the tranny yet but it's going ton be either a t56 magnum or a tr6060 from a new camaro. Im going to leave it under 700 hp, it will be a daily driver, so I'm thinking 3.73 rear gear, but I'm open to opinions. I have stock rear-end, not sure if it's a pontiac or chevy unit (I'm really not familiar with rear ends, I'm from the German car world, sorry lol, I've built many Lsx's, but never messed with rearends) I believe the stock length from flange to flange is 62.5 inches (off of a quick Google search). I'm going with a bolt on 4 link from ride tech. Any suggestions on rear ends? A moser unit? Where can I get one on this spec?

as always any help is much appreciated! Thanks

I am not totally familiar with Ridetechs kits but if you can fabricate we can sell you a fabricated nine inch housing core with ends to your desired width and you just add your brackets on it when it arrives.

We could also add the brackets for you but would need your measurements on bracket locations as we would not have that for a custom build. The manufacture you are purchasing brackets may have those though.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by moekluse
I'm honestly not sure. It was designed to be bolt on, so I assume if the rear end of the aftermarket one has the same dimentions as the original, it would also be bolt on
If you are a welder/fab guy no worries. If you want a bolt in and forget it, I would make FT rec a supplier that has used their parts or you will be in for all kinds of headaches.

Good luck. Sounds like a neat project.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Coal Mining Director

BTW, the 8.5 factory rear might be all you need and you know it fits. At 700hp I would freshen it up and rock it.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

If you are a welder/fab guy no worries. If you want a bolt in and forget it, I would make FT rec a supplier that has used their parts or you will be in for all kinds of headaches.

Good luck. Sounds like a neat project.
It shouldn't be that big of a deal for anyone that builds housings on a regular basis, we ship out custom rear ends for all types of chassis all year long.

Recently did a torque arm set up for a C5 and one for a GTO, and do leaf spring , ladder bar, and custom four links on a weekly basis.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
It shouldn't be that big of a deal for anyone that builds housings on a regular basis, we ship out custom rear ends for all types of chassis all year long.

Recently did a torque arm set up for a C5 and one for a GTO, and do leaf spring , ladder bar, and custom four links on a weekly basis.
I agree from a manufacturing perspective. But if I needed a custom 9" 4th gen fbod rear diff I would order it from someone that builds a lot of them like MWC because they have it "figured". Likewise with a second gen fbod.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, the 8.5 factory rear might be all you need and you know it fits. At 700hp I would freshen it up and rock it.
u think so? I'd love to keep it so I can save some money for other parts of the car. Are all the 78 trans ams an 8.5? I'd probably at least get a new Center section and maybe axles. Do you know where I can get new bearibgs, seals, Center section etc.

thanks
Old 04-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Coal Mining Director

To refresh the stock rear with a R/P, posi, bearing kit , axles, etc should be available from MWC if you want to do the work yourself. If you don't there have to be many shops in NC that would rip it, strip it , rebuild and powder coat it. If you were building a mainly strip car with a transbrake, slicks, etc a 9 might be worth looking at even though yours has been built in the past to hold good power. A ProStreet build at 700 or less, I would refurbish and use it. Just do your homework on the best position, gears, axles, etc.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To refresh the stock rear with a R/P, posi, bearing kit , axles, etc should be available from MWC if you want to do the work yourself. If you don't there have to be many shops in NC that would rip it, strip it , rebuild and powder coat it. If you were building a mainly strip car with a transbrake, slicks, etc a 9 might be worth looking at even though yours has been built in the past to hold good power. A ProStreet build at 700 or less, I would refurbish and use it. Just do your homework on the best position, gears, axles, etc.
Thanks you! I have almost every tool anyone would want in there garage, and my father who's building the car with me is very knowledgeable when it comes to this type of stuff, I'm just an engine guy! I'm going to look into refreshing everything, thanks again
Old 04-07-2017, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just want to confirm that he is right about the 8.5" 10 bolt, put good parts in it and you'll likely never have to think about it again for what you're wanting to use it for. Best of luck!
Old 04-08-2017, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteenH
Just want to confirm that he is right about the 8.5" 10 bolt, put good parts in it and you'll likely never have to think about it again for what you're wanting to use it for. Best of luck!
thank you!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default I have issues!!

Im having some trouble removing the axles and carrier from the rear end. The small bolt holding the car clip shaft is broken from the other side of the thread. The shaft moves up and down with alot of play but I can't get it out. Any ideas?

thank you
Old 04-25-2017, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Got it out!

Holy ****, this shaft was worn to ****, had to use a dampner pully puller to push it out. Im going to beven getting a new carrier assembly, preferably a LSD one. Where can I get a drop in replacement? Thanks

Quick Reply: Need a rear end for a protouring car