Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

01 SS rear end noise - what is it??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 SS rear end noise - what is it??

I am getting quite a bit of noise from the back of my '01 SS over the last month or so and am looking for advice. The car has the factory Zexel Torsen limited slip (not the optional one from SLP) and has 54,000 mostly highway miles on it. Originally it sounded like tire noise - my rears were very worn - I put new OEM tires (SLP take-off tires and rims) and it made no difference. I knew that the inner rear brake pads were getting pretty worn, so I replaced those (didn't mill the calipers), no difference. Last weekend I jacked it up, put jack stands under the axle and ran it through the gears (works better with the traction control off!!), didn't really hear it, had my daughter run it through the gears, didn't really hear it, but when the tires were spinning down (slowing up with the clutch in) I heard a fair amount of scraping, more than I should of had coming from the brake pad and caliper, coming from the left side - I'm wandering if it is the emergency brake on that side - I could turn the left wheel by hand with the e-brake set but could not turn the right wheel. All along I had been thinking the differential was making the noise - with the car not running and still up on jacks when I turn the left wheel by hand the right one doesn't turn - it has been my experience in the past with a limited slip when you turn one wheel, with both jacked up, the other wheel should turn the same way - is something wrong hear? Since I drive the car 95 miles per day the noise is getting annoying and it is drowning out the noise (while cruising) of the new SLP slip fit exhaust I put on last weekend. By the way when driving down the highway the noise still continues if I flip the car in neutral and shut the engine off at highway speeds - I usually don't hear it until I get above about 30 mph. Thanks.

Kevin
Old 09-14-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

you probably have a bad pinion bearing or side carrier bearing mine was rusty with 26,00 miles i warrantyed it myself probably from sitting in the winter?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

definetly sounds like a pinion bearing, ive gone though 2 of them then i ditched the 10 bolt, mainly on decel annoying as crap once its pointed out to you, first time how ever i did replace all the bearings, carriers should be fine, axles? hard to say, depends on how they look