Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Installing 3.73's in place of my 4.10's

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 05:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing 3.73's in place of my 4.10's

I broke a tooth off of my 4.10's, to hopefully avoid this in the future when I begin to spray, or get a cam, I am replacing them with 3.73's instead of another set of 4.10's What is the best set? Also is there a walkthrough anywhere around here to installing them? I can rent the tools to set the backlash no problem, I have just never been in the rearend of a fbody. I have a auburn rear.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:59 AM
Launching!

I do not think you are going to protect yourself from future failure here by going to a 3.73 and may create other problems as well. It appears that you have reached the upward limits of your rear axles capacity and at this stage you might consider a swap to a stronger rear axle. You could also use hi impact gears (if they are availble for your current) but they do not wear as long in street use.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Teching In

I know several guys spraying, and running boost that are running 3.73's on the stock 10 bolt, one of which is a 98 with over 80k. Majority of them have stud girdles though. I'm just looking for a walk through for installing the gears.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Launching!

THe walk through will take several lines of typing. DO you have access to a local library for tech data and gear mesh pattern examples which you need to be able to "read" to check contact area?
Old 10-14-2004, 02:45 AM
Teching In

I just need the walkthrough on setting backlash, actually thats it. I can do the rest, all the other rears I have done I just guessed at it, I want it right in my car.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:04 AM
Launching!

I do not have the spec in front of me for that rear axle but backlash is set but moving ring gear toward or away from pinion, subtracting or adding shim thickness on carrier bearings (if you add to one side your subract the same amount from the other side) while maintaining and carrier bearing preload. Backlash is basically the last thing you check after correct gear mess is obtained. Generally you use a dial indicator to measure it but you can use a vernier micrometer in a pinch too.