Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear swap question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear swap question

I have been looking for a rearend for my 98 TA, I am planning on putting a stall in and some ring and pinion but with my NX system i know before long I will be kissing my rear good bye, But i dont want to spend over a 1000 for a rear, now i have been looking on Ebay and i have found 12 bolts and such off of other vehicles such as trucks and gen 2 camaros and firebirds, what i am asking is what all would it take to do a rear end swap like that and could i do it myself and if not how much would the conversion cost labor wise.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Launching!

no way areound it... by the time you do all the fabbin youll be around the price for a new one thru moser.

gotta bit the bullet..and spend the dough...or fix yorus and cross your fingers...either way its a shity decision....gm really f'ed us on these cars.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

If you don't want to spend over 1000 you can call you local gm auto yard and have them hook you up with a 9 inch. Yes I know 9 inch is ford but my local gm yard told me they can get me any ford 9 in I want with narrowed axles, the housing, any gear ratio I wanted, for about 800 bucks. This sounds like a kick *** deal but then again this 9 inch would come disassembled, and not set up for a camaro at all. After all the fabrication it woudn't cost much over a grand but you would have to spend so much time in assembly and fabrication that personally I didn't think was worth it. Too bad they couldn't get any 12 bolts, but gm stoped making them in the 70's and the ford 9in has been around forever, so they have a **** ton laying around.