Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is a spool really necessary w/o t-brake or clutch dumps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is a spool really necessary w/o t-brake or clutch dumps?

With an A4 tranny that would probably only see maybe a high 1.6 60', with no transbrake, would it really be necessary to get a spool.

I know some guys here are running them on "streetable" cars, but are they really that streetable? My car gets at least 3000 miles/year and probably only 25 track runs.

I noticed that people that choose posi units lean toward the Strange 12-bolt. But if I'm only going to order a spool, is there any benefit to the extra few $$$ of the Strange over the Moser?
Old 11-29-2004, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
With an A4 tranny that would probably only see maybe a high 1.6 60', with no transbrake, would it really be necessary to get a spool.

I know some guys here are running them on "streetable" cars, but are they really that streetable? My car gets at least 3000 miles/year and probably only 25 track runs.

I noticed that people that choose posi units lean toward the Strange 12-bolt. But if I'm only going to order a spool, is there any benefit to the extra few $$$ of the Strange over the Moser?

A spool would be more efficient. You should be fine with a locker, if you cant handle a spool. If your going to get a 12 bolt you really need to pay the extra and get the strange, mainly for 2 reasons....1. TA bolts back out (even with red loc tite) 2. Gear whine on a 12 bolt moser is horrable for most.