Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Search function hasn't answered this properly...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Search function hasn't answered this properly...

With a manual tranny what is usually the cause of the rear end breaking and what is a common thing to break. i should be picking up my 00 ss this sunday and it's t56 equipped, therefore i am looking into the rearend because i heard that it is a common problem.

It will not be long before the camaro gets pretty extensive modification, i am looking into full exhaust within a couple of weeks and a HCI package by mid spring/summer.

I guess i am wondering if the rear will hold up with drag radials and mostly street driving, or if that power will kill it regardless. Iwould like some 373s but if stock gears give me some leeway i will stick them out for a while.
Another thing that i am questioning is whether or not the rear end will break without dumping the clutch.

Thanks
Louie Panayi

BTW i have been using the search icon for almost 2 weeks now without a post, but this is one thnig that i can't seem to find a real good answer for, thanks again.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

well i have 3 track passes (i know not much) on nittos with longtubes, and now have a cam and the rear is holdin up ok for now (it does whine during driving though) i know its gonna go soon so im not even trying to go to the track until i get my new rear
Old 11-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Restricted User

It wont last, i was only on a 245 nitto with no suspension work at all and my mods were and still are headers, a maf, cold air, and a air lid. My rears gone, if you have an m6 and you're going to race go get a 9" there's a guy that already broke his 12 bolt with 5 passes on it. M6's are not good to race with because you brake so much ****.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

High probability it will break. Usually it is the ring and pinion. If you have the eaton posi that breaks the spider gears sometimes. Occasionally the axles will snap. Even if you beef up one component, the other will eventually fail.

That being said, I have launched my 02 SS for 7-10 passes at about 3500 rpm with no breakage yet, but I am scared. Installing an 8.8 this winter
Old 11-10-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

ok so it is gonna break regardless...great!

Now i have a couple more things if you guys don't mind, does it usually break on the launch or will shifting hard blow it up too? If it ill work without launching too hard i may actuall y be in great shape...

Now with this 8.8, i have a little knowledge about these with the mustang and all and for about 800 bux and an 8.8 rear end you have a pretty beefy rear end, so if i just got a ford 8.8 and beefed it up, what would it take to fit it into the camaro? a big hassle?

Thanks
Louie
Old 11-10-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, they have been known to break on hard shifts if you have a good clutch, sticky tires, and lots of power.

As far as the 8.8, the ones that have been built thus far were done by welding 10 bolt axle tubes inside of 8.8 axle tubes and then fabbing up a torque arm mount on the pumpkin. Do a search, you'll find the threads, or look at the top of the forum section.