Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear swap T/A girdle install hints and tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear swap T/A girdle install hints and tips

Finally getting around to it this weekend. Anything hints or tips I need to know about this swap other than what is done on any other GM rear end??

Have an install kit, 2 quarts red line heavy oil, GM differential additive, T/A girdle, and setup bearings.....(which will be for sale after this install if anyone is interested).

Can I reuse the stock bolts for the TA cover... ??

Is there a rear end install guide some where on the net I can use if I get stuck.

How long you think the stock rear end will last under 500hp? I know I should of gone 12 bolt, but the thick gears finally came in after 8 months back order and I can't wait to see what the car feels like with 3.73's instead of 2.73's. I really am waiting around for someone to start pumping out reliable 8.8's for the F-body.

Thanks for any info.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can I reuse the stock bolts for the TA cover... ??

no ,i had to go buy some allen heads at the local hardware store.the 1st time i changed gears it took me 2 nights to take it apart & put it back together,the 2nd time it took me about 3 hours start to finish & i think i could do it under 2 hours now!!!!!!!! john
Old 11-21-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

mine came complete with the bolts i needed.

youll need to keep an eye out for seeping.use silicone with your gasket and pipe thread on your drainplug.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like you've done this before, so just concentrate on gear pattern and backlash. Be fussy, if you gotta pull the pinion a few times to re-shim, then do it. For 500hp I would want everything to be perfect.
I've had a cover on my diff since the car was 3months old. A ST3500 since six months and pulling 1.65 60's for three years on slicks. It's still together. I'll pull it apart and inspect again this winter.
Good luck
Old 11-22-2004, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Terry'sToy
Sounds like you've done this before, so just concentrate on gear pattern and backlash. Be fussy, if you gotta pull the pinion a few times to re-shim, then do it. For 500hp I would want everything to be perfect.
I've had a cover on my diff since the car was 3months old. A ST3500 since six months and pulling 1.65 60's for three years on slicks. It's still together. I'll pull it apart and inspect again this winter.
Good luck
You still running your stock axles...? What gear ratio you running.

Shoot man....I pullled the cover off this rearend and it is a baby??? I can't belive how small sh%t in there is. Yea I just siliconed the cover back on I have all winter to think about this. I am pushing over 500hp on the nitrous. I may go with a new rear end. I am going to put a post up see how many people are running this much HP on the stock rear end with low gears. I just don't want to blow 500$ and then have a axle go flying out on me.

It is good to hear your rearend is holding...
Old 11-22-2004, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Yep I'm still running my stock axles and 3.23 gears. I think the trick is the stock 3.23's or 3.42's. They seem to be stonger than the others, or maybe it's just the thickness.
If you are serious about running that much power on slicks through that diff, then I would definately get a bigger diff like a 12 bolt or 9inch. I believe Moser is also coming out with a dana 60, but that's big power stuff.
If you are concerned about axles I believe Mark Williams makes a set for our diff.
Good luck.