Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Blown rear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown rear?

A day or so ago I started having some odd problems with my t/a. In sixth, if I gave the car more than 20% or so throttle it would stop acceleration and the rpms would shoot up as if I had thrown the car in neutral and started revving while in motion. The problem has progressed to now affecting 5th gear, 4th gear and 3rd to some extent. It seems to be worse in the higher gears than in the lower. I'm worried that the car will be undrivable soon enough if it starts happening in 1st and 2nd, as I'll barely be able to accelerate without the car trying to rev.

Is it possible that my rear has finally blown? I never felt any sudden jarring or heard any noises that would have indicated a mechanical failure. I have 4.10s in my m6 so is it possible that the gears have blown to **** finally and they aren't catching anymore if spun too fast? Is it a tranny problem instead?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:04 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like your clutch, not the rear.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Really? I just put in a brand new spec stage 3 last winter and the car isn't heavily modified, nor does it see dumps except for once or twice when I was breaking her in.

Also, the car engages into gear fine on shifts, the rpms don't spin until after the clutch is released and I hit the throttle. I can still hit the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts as hard as I could when the clutch was brand new. Shouldn't the problem be more in the lower gears instead of the upper since there's more torque to overcome the friction plate?

Anyone able to help me confirm that this is the clutch?

Last edited by Blk98Bird; 11-23-2004 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:08 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

It really sounds like a slipping clutch, but I'm no expert. You may want to post this in the M6 section.