Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Richmond vs. Strange gears

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 04:47 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Richmond vs. Strange gears

I know the first thing you are thinking is "get a better rear", but I don't have that money at the moment. So, I'm going to put 4.10's in my car this winter (among other things). Anyway, I plan on 400rwhp, running drag radials every day, and going to the track about once a month. I alos plan on installing a TA cover with the studs and a solid crush sleeve. Basically I'm trying to band aid this 10 bolt for a year or two until I can afford a 12 bolt.

ANYWAY, I have always considered Richmond's a great gear, and my buddy installed them in his Formula and his 10 bolt seems to be holding up fine with 370rwhp (even w/o the cover and studs). Now, I was looking at this gear kit from Thunder and you can either go with Motive or the Strange gears. I know Motive is a GM gear, which is good, but not as strong as a Richmond (yes, I know the Richmond is "louder", but loud is only a matter of opinion - and a fair trade for strength).

So this leads to my question of is the Strange gear as good, or comparable to a Richmond?
Old 11-24-2004, 04:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have have had the Strange gears in my car for about a year and a half. I dont have the T/A girdle, and they have lasted on countless low 11 sec runs.
The Strange will be just as strong as the Richmonds and a little quieter(IMO) Strange gears do make some noise. You need to remember, the lower the ratio you go, the weaker the gear is. For example 4.10's are weaker than 3.23's, this is due to the metal thickness.
Is your car an auto or 6 spd.?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:58 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin 98TA
I have have had the Strange gears in my car for about a year and a half. I dont have the T/A girdle, and they have lasted on countless low 11 sec runs.
The Strange will be just as strong as the Richmonds and a little quieter(IMO) Strange gears do make some noise. You need to remember, the lower the ratio you go, the weaker the gear is. For example 4.10's are weaker than 3.23's, this is due to the metal thickness.
Is your car an auto or 6 spd.?
I have a 6 speed. Like I said, I don't mind some noise, as it's a fair trade for strength. I do understand that the numerically higher gears are weaker, but I figure I'd just try and do what I can to save the tiny 10 bolt until I can get something better.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:09 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had 4.10's in the ol' 10 bolt, they were Strange. Held up fine.

Quick Reply: Richmond vs. Strange gears