Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My car has gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car has gas

My 01 Hawk with 1LE suspension makes an awful metal/rubber grinding sound from the passenger rear whenever I make any low speed turning manuevers. Like in a parking lot for instance. It almost sounds like a tire is rubbing but I see no evidence of that. I've had the car in the air and nothing looks out of place. There is no whine, drone or howling from the rear. Just sounds like the car is farting when it goes around corners. More pronounced when making lefthand turns. I'm going to take it into the dealer, but I'd like to get an idea of what it may be before I go in.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be the posi if you have one with clutches. Especially if you have synthetic diff fluid in there. Use non-synthetic and put the posi aditive in it.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Hawk has the optional auburn rear. I don't think there is synthetic in it. Should I have someone drain and refill? What do I have them use? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 98 TA had the same problem i was the clutchs in the rear end i went to a friend with a transmission shop and he just the changed the gear oil and put the positive aditive in it and it is dead quiet