Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

stock 10 bolt carrier question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stock 10 bolt carrier question

At what gear ratio does the stock carrier change? In other words, does the 3.23 and 3.42 use the same carrier, or does the 2.73 and 3.23 use the same carrier. Also, do the 4 channel ABS style rears use the same carrier as the 3 channel style. I know the 3 channel has a reluctor (tone) ring attached to the carrier so that the sensor can detect it through the top of the housing, but is it just bolted to the same carrier as what is installed in the 4 channel rears? I am asking because I have a donor rear axle and I need a new carrier, the problem is the donor is a 3 channel set up and mine is a 4 channel, so I need to know if the carriers are interchangible. The rear end actually has late model 4 channel axles in it so I am sure it has the 28 spline carrier but do not know anything else about it yet.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Junkie

2.73's are 2 series carriers (also 3.08 on other 7.5 GM's) 3.23 and 3.42's are series 3 carriers. Someone else will have to help out with info on the 4 channel TCS info. Ordered both my cars without Traction control.... Maybe someone could post pics of 3 channel and 4 channel carriers? Your's a Torsen, or Auburn carrier? WJ
Old 12-13-2004, 03:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
2.73's are 2 series carriers (also 3.08 on other 7.5 GM's) 3.23 and 3.42's are series 3 carriers. Someone else will have to help out with info on the 4 channel TCS info. Ordered both my cars without Traction control.... Maybe someone could post pics of 3 channel and 4 channel carriers? Your's a Torsen, or Auburn carrier? WJ
It is the standard one (2000) Zexel/Torsen??? I do not think it is the Auburn, I think that was only available as an SLP option on SS and maybe Firehawks for these years. As far as the donor rear axle, I have no idea. It was supposed to be out of a 2001 SS, but when I went to pick it up it had the hole on top of the carrier for the 3 channel ABS, and I could see the reluctor ring attached to the carrier (but could not see how or where it was attached). I will most likely pull the cover off in the morning when I get home from work and check it out. I am hoping it is something I can use just to get going again.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Std. carrier should be a Torsen. I believe only '98 cars had Auburn's std. Yes, optional SLP rears had Auburn's w/AAM covers. WJ