Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just installed 3.73's in my auburn PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed 3.73's in my auburn PROBLEM

I set them up with the marking grease and they are hitting directly in the center like they should be, they mesh perfectly almost, now I have a problem. The car runs fine, but when I let off on decel I get this very loud very annoying chatter from the rearend, you cannot hear it from the outside of the car only inside and it come from the rear area, it only does it on decel, but in reverse it does it non stop, whats causing this?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

anyone ??
Old 12-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Banned

Wish I could give you advice. A similar thing has just started happening to the stock 10 bolt on my "02 Hawk. Mine is more of a howling,whirring on decel. I think I will just replace the gear set w/3.73's and do the bearings while I am in there. I will leave the posi unit alone unless I see something when I get there. Anyone know what is causing these problems?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:20 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Boonesz, yours sounds like a bearing noise. Possibly from not being preloaded correctly. How did you set your pinion bearing preload? For new bearings you are supposed to crush the sleeve until you have about 20 in/lb rotational torque on the pinion. Also, did you preload the diff bearings? It should have to be lightly tapped in to the housing. How much backlash also?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BoonesZ
I set them up with the marking grease and they are hitting directly in the center like they should be, they mesh perfectly almost, now I have a problem. The car runs fine, but when I let off on decel I get this very loud very annoying chatter from the rearend, you cannot hear it from the outside of the car only inside and it come from the rear area, it only does it on decel, but in reverse it does it non stop, whats causing this?
Is this your first gearset setup? Have any previous experience setting gears up? WJ