Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End Noise--- Poopy. Ideas Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear End Noise--- Poopy. Ideas Anyone?

Hello,I have been abusive to my '02 Hawk with the stock 10 bolt. It has recently started to make a whirring or slight howling on decel. It also has this sound that seems like it has to be a tire rubbing because of the frequency- but it's not the tire. It has this shhhkk sound that take a bit of time for it to roll around to the next shhhkk sound. It is still a bit too fast for it to be a spot on the tire rolling around. I did some searches and haven't found an answer yet. Can I just replace the ring and pinion, or does this sound like a bearing and posi type of rebuild? Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Mileage on the car?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:24 PM
14 Second Truck Club

It is possible that you bent a tooth or two on the gear set. It does happen from time to time. They can be fine for a while, but after a few hard launches you get coast/decel noise. If you are going to be in there, do all the bearings while you are at it. A posi will rarely make noise in straight line driving, but it is not impossible.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the replies!!! The miles on the car 42k. I bought it a year ago when it had 39K. She sits in the garage most of the time, and when I do drive it- I don't baby it. This noise started a few weekends ago. It has gotten a bit louder and I know I will have to do something soon. A 12 bolt isn't in the cards right now so I will buy new gears from SLP and the related stuff and find a good shop in the area to do it right.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Are there any write ups on how to replace these things? I have a similar problem as you, firehawk, and found quite a bit of metal shavings/chunks in my gear oil today.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Krab
Are there any write ups on how to replace these things? I have a similar problem as you, firehawk, and found quite a bit of metal shavings/chunks in my gear oil today.
Don't know about the write-ups, but I will tell you that the junk rear-ends on our cars are almost exactly the same as the ones put under S-10 pickups! I have spoken to a few shops in my area and will most likely go out of state to More Performance to have them do the work for me. I didn't like the incomplete answers I was getting from the local boys. I would like to deal with a pro once than deal with ******** several times when there is a vibration or other junk happening to my ride. You might as well put some $$$ aside to get your differential repaired and better yet- buy a 12bolt! Good luck bro!