Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

tired of searching...HOW DO I REPLACE THE REAREND?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy tired of searching...HOW DO I REPLACE THE REAREND?!?!

I have searched here and googled, but can't find any definitive instructions on replacing the rearend
I have a complete, low mileage rearend ready to go into a whining 98. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking or skipping anything!!
Old 12-19-2004, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well jack it up support the it under the body so that the rear is free to drop down. Remove both wheels. Next remove the driveshaft. Then on the side of the transmission loosen the torque arm. Next remove bothe bolts that hold the torque arm to the rear. no disconnect the parking break cables. And remove the brake calipers from the rearend. Just the 2 bolts holding them to the back plates. Now take the panhard rod loose from the rear. Next you will need to support the rear end with a jack to hold the wiehgt of it and remove the shock nuts and you will be able to lower the rear and remove both rear springs. Now just take both control arm bolts out from the rear end and it is out. just do everything in revears to stick it back in. It is a very easy project to do. Best if you have a firend to help you support it on the jack.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

that's pretty much what I figured, had a friend coming over, who had done it several times, but he bailed on me!