Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Building the stock 10 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building the stock 10 bolt

I know this guy who mentioned something about rebuilding the stock 10 bolt on my 02 SS for somewhere around $800 - $1000? Is this a good deal will it be strong. Or should i just save and get a Strange 12 bolt? Reason im considering this is because its cheaper then the 12 bolt. But i dont want this if its going to like glass after the "Stronger rebuilt rear end"

He told me what they do is completly gut out my 10 bolt differential and replace all the parts with a 31 splin, whatever gears i choose 3.73 or 4.11, spool or posi.... however i wanted it built but they will use strong parts. What what he made it sound like.

My question is is this worth doing? Will this be strong enough to launch @ 4-5k RPMs with NIttos or ET STREETs? The car might see the tracks once every 4 months. But will see alot of street races. My mods are in my sig to get a better idea of how much power i have.

Any suggestions please
Old 01-03-2005, 04:26 PM
14 Second Truck Club

"You cant polish a turd"
There is no 31 spline upgrade available for 7.6 that I have seen anyway. No matter what you do to it, it is still a small rear. People will tell you the upgraded axles are 20-30% stronger, but with 5k launches the case(carrier, posi) is the problem, and it will still be the same size.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a 12 bolt or 9 inch.Don't waste any $ on a 10 bolt.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope, its nearly worthless to build a 10 bolt if you plan and running some fast numbers. Its just better to get a 12 bolt or 9"
Old 01-03-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

If you had an auto, I would say you might be able to get away with a built up 10 bolt. With a M6, if you have intentions to hit it hard, I doubt it will last. All I am aware of that you could do would be to replace the posi unit with a better one (Eaton or Auburn), replace the gears (which would still be 7 5/8 or whatever it is), replace the axles with an aftermarket axle (same size and 28 spline as far as I am aware), stud the carrier caps and replace the cover with a girdle type which would help minimize deflection. As mentioned, this might work in a heavy hitting auto with no more than a 3.73 gear (the higher the ratio, the smaller the pinion gear gets and the less contact area you have between the two gears which makes a weak rear end even weaker).
Old 01-03-2005, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

10 Bolt is meant to be disposable. True story.

Nah, seriously dude any money spent on the 7.5 will be unwise if you want to keep going faster. And as time goes on, chances are we are going to go faster.

So it has to be dealt with.

GIT-R-DONE!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Launching!

so picking the correct setup through strange what would i need for my car?

I want the 33 spline axle. Just not sure if i need the 3 channel or 4 channel abs? and traction control.
I have a 2002 Camaro SS M6 with Traction control.
This is my daily driver so i want posi not a spool. But a very strong posi. Possibly 4.11 gears, but i think that might be harsh for Nitrous so maybe 3.73s.

Can someone help me pick the correct setup?

I also want to keep my existing 10 bolt so when i want to put it back to stock i can just unbolt the 12 bolt and rebolt the 10 bolt back on. I've been reading that Strange has the most plug in play rear end on the market. But i also read that they need some kind of plates or something from my rear end? Is this true?