Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

problem with rear end with 89 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with rear end with 89 firebird

i am sorry for this
but i am a new member and i was looking to post a thread but couldnt find how too

so i am writing here my problems, hope somebody can help me out

i have 89 firebird 305 V8 which i brought for 800$ when i brought it one could hear tapping noise so after seeking numerous advice i changed the lifters and now it is working fine athough it did cost me 700$ with labor. then i changed to flowaster 80 with 3' pipe

but then whinning noise started coming from the rear end
again upon many advice i decided to change them
but was on a short budget as i am an international student(from india) here
in beaumont, texas

(U see muscle car was always a fascination to me because udont get fast cars in india)

so bought one over here

so to save money i bought a used one that came out of a 89 camaro($160)
and labor around (200$)

but then the problem started
my car used to do 80 mph at 2000rpm and top speed of 130mph
but now the speedometer shows i am going 80 mph at 2000rpm but the car went slow
so i had my friend run parallel to me
and i found out to be 65mph and top speed came to 90 although speedometer showed 120mph

i dont know what to do ?
pls help
Old 03-27-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have a numerically higher gear ratio in the new rearend you installed. You will have to find out what gear you have and correct from there. I cant remember if that year model still has a speedo cable off the back of the transmission to the speedometer or a electronic plug. If it is the cable type you will have to get a set of plastic gears that go on the tail shaft of the transmission to match the ratio you have in the rearend. You will have to pull the tail housing to install these pastic gears. It can be done with the tranny still in the car. If it is the plug type all you have to do is to find a tuner to reflash the computer.

Good luck,
Sean
Old 03-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Teching In

thnx a lot,
some body suggested that to me
but they also said that this way there wouyld be more strain on the engine
but fortunately i found a used one had it put on for 250 (total) (i guess he put on a 2.38 or something , but it is back to normal that is 80miles to 2000rpm.
i have started hearing funny noises(like some thing rubbing (metal)together it would happen at low speed but as soon as i let off gas it goes away and comes on as soon as i step on gas and while braking , can it be the brakes but the noise is coming from the back(i have drum brakes in the back)
i think show it back to guy who fixed as he told to me to back to have the oil change in the rear
lets see what happens
Old 03-28-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea your drums might need to be adjusted.

Sounds good, good luck with it.
Sean