Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

gear install

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gear install

How hard is it to install rear gears yourself? what is all involved and does anyone have any website references?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badtexasZ28
How hard is it to install rear gears yourself? what is all involved and does anyone have any website references?
I have yet to do it myself. But when I do, I'll use http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/axletech/
Old 04-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Teching In

It depends on how many miles you have on your car. I had just under 40,000 miles on mine and had to go through all the bearing and the posi unit was very worn so needed to be replace also. But you need some special tools like a press, something to hold the yoke while you R R the pinion to set the depth and contact patch, a drop indicator with a magnetic base, and most important patience.
So I would suggest you put aside a couple of days just incase you run into a problem like when I did mine I found the bolts I orderd were no the correct size I ordered bolts for a 10 bolt ring gear from ARP but they are for older ones I think because they don't have the correct size 7/16-20 LH. so it took me a day to get the correct size. I could have used the old ones but I don't want to sheer off the new ring. It seems the bolts like to sheer off the ring gear.