Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is there a differance in Driveshaft length between a A4 and an M6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 01:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a differance in Driveshaft length between a A4 and an M6?

Got my new HD driveshaft in and seems to be some play up if front. The Driveshaft measures 47.5 inches from front to back, which is what the stocker is. I have noticeable vibration now in neutral and on the decel over the stocker. The place I ordered it from said they placed the order figured it was for a M6 F-body car, just wondering if there is a difference in lengths or yoke lengths. Doesn't seem like the yoke slides on the trans as far as the stocker did…
Old 06-14-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

on a stock car no. Did you masure for the new shaft with the suspention loaded after the 12 bolt install?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
on a stock car no. Did you masure for the new shaft with the suspention loaded after the 12 bolt install?

No I didn't measure it at all. I have a strange 12 bolt and the driveshaft I ordered was made by Strange for the 12 bolt since the rear joint is bigger. So I am pretty sure they have the length right.

Talked to a friend he pointed out since I put the lower relocation brackets on the same time I did the DS, so I am starting to think maybe the brackets changed my pinion angle and that is maybe why I am getting more vibration.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Generaly the Strange 12 bolts don't change much for DS length but it's a good idea to check loaded slip travel just for peace of mind. When you do, generaly you should see a 1/2" or more no matter what. 1/2" is good for mild NA apps, 3/4" is needed for high HP or power adder apps. an inch or over and it becomes a vibration stick. I would be interested to see what it is just to rule that out. I would also wonder what your pinion angle is. Since LCS brakets are usualy drilled in the same arc as the stock hole it won't change anything. I would also remove the DS and check for a U joint binding due to in correct install. It should rotate in a circle smooth, easy and free..
Old 06-14-2005, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
Generaly the Strange 12 bolts don't change much for DS length but it's a good idea to check loaded slip travel just for peace of mind. When you do, generaly you should see a 1/2" or more no matter what. 1/2" is good for mild NA apps, 3/4" is needed for high HP or power adder apps. an inch or over and it becomes a vibration stick. I would be interested to see what it is just to rule that out. I would also wonder what your pinion angle is. Since LCS brakets are usualy drilled in the same arc as the stock hole it won't change anything. I would also remove the DS and check for a U joint binding due to in correct install. It should rotate in a circle smooth, easy and free..

How would I go about checking the travel?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

after everything is installed and set (remember to tighten all of the suspention bolts with the rear suspension fully loaded) install the driveshaft and set it fully in the rear flange. Mark a location on the front slip yoke where it goes into the seal. Then unseat the rear U joint from the flange and bottom it out into the tranny and mark at the seal again. Remove the shaft and measure the distence between the 2 marks and hope that it's atleast 1/2"
Old 06-15-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a strange 12 bolt and A4 driveshaft (Al. from a 3.23 equipped car) and swapped to an M6 w/o changing the driveshaft.

Quick Reply: Is there a differance in Driveshaft length between a A4 and an M6?