Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt axles a different length?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 10 bolt axles a different length?

I know the wheel studs are different as well as the fitment problem with LS1 wheels. I had someone assemble a 10 bolt for a friend but Firestone is saying the axle is too short and causing the brake caliper to rub the rotor.

BTW, I'm not a rear end newb. I know the difference between 4 channel and 3 channel ABS and how the ABS works.

Does anyone know if there were different length axles on any of the 10 bolts from 93-02?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a difference in between 93-96 and 97-02. I talked to Moser the other day about swapping brakes between LT1 and LS1 setup. I was told the axels are the same (on the 12 bolt) but I need a different shim to make it work. GM changed the setup in 97.

Now......I'm gonna guess they changed the length since the C clips are all that hold the axels. No shims like with C clip eliminators.

Don't know if this helps much.....but I didn't realize there was any difference either until this week....
Old 06-19-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jay_99z
There was a difference in between 93-96 and 97-02. I talked to Moser the other day about swapping brakes between LT1 and LS1 setup. I was told the axels are the same (on the 12 bolt) but I need a different shim to make it work. GM changed the setup in 97.

Now......I'm gonna guess they changed the length since the C clips are all that hold the axels. No shims like with C clip eliminators.

Don't know if this helps much.....but I didn't realize there was any difference either until this week....
Thanks for the reply. What shim are you talking about on the 12 bolt? My axles aren't shimmed (Moser 12 w/ Eaton LSD)
Old 06-19-2005, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

? Just talking to Moser......they said there was a shim.....(I think behind the bearings) for the LT1 setup. If you call them up I'm sure they could tell you exactly what the difference is. (260) 726-6689

I got a complete rear and brake setup from an LT1 car. I'm planning on swapping with axels and brakes with a friend so I can get ABS back.