Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is this a great deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this a great deal?

So I plan on rebuilding my rear end since my posi is practically broken. =(.
I called a local shop here called Rear End Specialties. And asked what they can do for me. They gave me this quote.

Eaton Positraction - $450

Lube - $15

GM O.E.M 3.73's - $305

Labor $ 150

Comes down to about 920 + tax and takes about a few hours to finish the job. Should I go with this or are they pricing a bit too much?

Also. Should I really go with OEM gears or go motive? The guy said the motive will not last any longer than the oem. Oem are the quietest so I should go with that. But will either out perform the other? I'm guessing no?

Thanks guys
Old 07-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Launching!

you could still break it. i would spend the dough and get a 9inch...only like a grand more...and you have piece of mind.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, a grand more, That would take me a while to save up. I was going to go with that cuase I've read a little about 9's or 12's. But then I'd have to wait almost 2 months or even more just to save up a g. Is this certain I'll break the stock 10' or could i be running on this for awhile. Keep in mind i do want to take this to the track one day just to see my times. But nothing extreme will be on her soon like nitrous or turbo. I'll probably end up doing the 9' next, but as of right now, when I smash i get a terrible thump noise. (my friend at a dealership looked my car and said it was the posi.) Meaning why I'mn replacing it.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:30 AM
10 Second Club

Just rebuild it if you don't have the money. There's no garentee that you won't break it but I think you might get a year or two out of it if your easy on it. I just had the same problem as you and I bought a 9". But I installed it myself and that a big chunk of the cost(labor). I've got about 1925.00 in it right now but I might need LCA relocation brackets also. Now I can rag on it!
Old 07-28-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, I'm planning to do the install with my 9'' when I buy it. As of now, I dont know. I guess I'm just going to use the stock 10 and get the new gears. I'm hoping it'll hold. Would with occasional smashing? I dont usually go rough on my car just cuase i dont want dumb **** happening. But would a race or two hurt ?