Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

fine particles of metal in gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fine particles of metal in gear oil

Three oil changes on my 9" Detroit locker 85-140 synthetic 3Quarts each time , this is getting expensive. I keep on finding these very very fine filings suspended in the oil, they leave like a sheen in the oil can't be good for the chunk.you can't actually feel the filings but they are there.Strange already cost me 3 weeks down time the first time they re set up the center section The howl was so loud it was unbearable after 5minutes at 60 mph.I really haven't wanted to bad mouth Strange because they did rebuild my Strange , but I'm really worried about these filings,and whether ultimately they will **** my rear.Is this **** normal or am I expecting way too much? I will tell you this sob grabs in a straight line like its nobodys business, It grabs so good you will **** yourself.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats normal.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:32 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Normal to a certain extent. It should start to taper off and be barely nonexistent. Depends on the hardness of the ring and pinion.