Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end pinion leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default rear end pinion leaking

I changed my oil in my 02 z-28 the other day. I noticed that the rear end was wet. We pulled the plug and found that it is still full, but I want to fix the leak. One guy here said its easy to fix, but the torque on the nut has to be perfect. What is the torque for the nut? Is it really a easy job, or is the guy blowing smoke at me? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well here is the "official procedure"

1) Raise and support vehicle. Mark drive shaft to companion flange for installation reference. Remove drive shaft. Scribe alignment mark on companion flange, pinion and pinion nut so proper drive pinion preload can be maintained.
2) Using an INCH lb. torque wrench, measure and record pinion bearing preload. Remove pinion nut and washer. Using a puller, remove companion flange. See Fig. 2. Using care not to damage housing, drive seal out of housing with a blunt chisel.

Installation
1) Pack seal lip of new seal with lithium—based, extreme- pressure grease. Drive seal into housing until seated against shoulder. Install companion flange, washer and pinion nut.
NOTE: If preload specification is exceeded, a new collapsible spacer must be installed and nut retightened until correct preload is obtained.
2) Gradually tighten pinion nut. Turn drive pinion several times during tightening to seat bearings. Ensure pinion bearing preload is 3-5 INCH lbs. (.3-.6 N.m) more than reading obtained during removal. Install drive shaft.

I gave my 10-bolt a complete overhaul with solid spacer. No leaks yet. You might as well get a rebuild kit and do the whole damn thing while your under there.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ratech's Deluxe install kit comes with everything needed to refresh a 10 bolt