Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

tools for 12-bolt install

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tools for 12-bolt install

what are the tools needed to install my strange 12-bolt in my driveway. just want to get everything before the rear shows up on wednesday!!!
Old 08-06-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Socket set?

I haven't done a 12 bolt (its still in my garage) but I have donw plenty of 10 bolts.

You have to jack up the car, and place it on jack stands, remove the wheels.
Remove the Rear control arm bolts, drive shaft, torque arm, lower shock nuts and brake lines. I tend to buy those vacuum plugs and plaug the brake lines as quick as possible to eliminate as much fluid loss as possible.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just installed one and you only need basic handtools. A Torque Wrench does come in handy for the LCA's, PHR and TA Bolts. The brake lines do not have to be removed from the car. Just unbolt the calipers and unclip the lines from the axle tubes. Then, remove the bolt holding the block to the center section. This way you will not have to bleed the brakes. I am sure you will have the jackstands and floor jack. All you need a good metric socket set and wrenches (1/2" and 3/8" drive).
Old 08-06-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

rent/buy an air compressor and get some air tools. You will wonder how you ever did without
Btw don't disconnect the brake lines. Use wire or something to hold the calipers don't let the calipers hang by the rubber lines.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blacker
I just installed one and you only need basic handtools. A Torque Wrench does come in handy for the LCA's, PHR and TA Bolts. The brake lines do not have to be removed from the car. Just unbolt the calipers and unclip the lines from the axle tubes. Then, remove the bolt holding the block to the center section. This way you will not have to bleed the brakes. I am sure you will have the jackstands and floor jack. All you need a good metric socket set and wrenches (1/2" and 3/8" drive).
Oops, I forgot about the PFR And yes, you are right, I never used to diconnect the brakes when swapping rears. I was thinking of mine (swapping from LT1 style to LS1 style rear brakes.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:37 AM
TECH Regular

awsome guys....thats exactly what i wanted to hear. thanks a lot