Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear retarded

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gear retarded

Hey guys, I'm kinda new at the whole world of gearing. I was just wondering what exactly could happen on a hard launch with 4:10's in the stock ten bolt.
Would it just eat up the gears? Tear up the entire case? I want 4:10's, and plan to use the car for street and strip. No money for a 9" or twelve bolt right now and I dont want to phuk up the stock rear.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What trans? Behind an auto the 10 bolt seems to hold up well according to other people. Behind a stick you're probably better off to just wait on the money for the better assy. If you baby it and use it for street use you should be ok. Launching hard on slicks and it's just a matter of time until something gives. The nice thing about the factory 10 is that you never know what part of it is going to break. Diff., gears, axles(although rare). And anytime you break something in there you always stand a chance of it going through the case. It doesn't usually happen but there is always a chance. I'm not trying to scare you out of the 4:10's I have a set laying on the floor right now. Just haven't got them in yet and don't have the money yet for a 9".
Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

short answer =

its going to totally depend on your driving habbits and if they are installed correctly.