Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Q on soft locker...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Q on soft locker...

For those of you who have a soft locker, I have a few Questions.
I understand it locks and unlocks around corners, but how much of a turn do you have to make for it to unock? If your on the highway doing 70 and you switch lanes really quick, does it stay locked? If it doesent would that be dangerous?
Also, if your making a turn, wich wheel unlocks?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

I have one in a Jeep CJ7 with 33" tires and a 5-speed, so I've got probably the worst ride to put a Detroit Locker in. Most of your time will be spent in one-wheel drive, believe it or not, due to ever-so-slight differences in tire diameter, road surface, and the fact that NOBODY can hold a car in a perfectly straight line. These factors will keep the diff constantly unlocking and re-locking. You usually won't know it though, because the Softlocker is just that smooth at unlocking and re-locking. In the two years I've had mine, it's only "clunked" 7 times, and that was due to the tire size, 4.56 gears, and manual trans. With smaller tires, like what you find on a car, those "clunks" are much less profound.

It's usually the outside wheel that unlocks and "coasts" around the turn. The only hazardous conditions you'd encounter with a Locker would be snow/ice, where too much throttle will spin you like a top(Don't ask how I know). But who hotrods their LS1 in the snow???

There is about 5* of slack in the gears to allow the mechanism in the Detroit Locker to operate smoothly. Keep that in mind when you let off the gas, or you'll hear that slack "shock" the drivetrain when you let off the gas real quick. Just something to think about... I haven't noticed any extra wear on my drivetrain from it.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 35 spline locker so I'm pretty sure it's not a soft locker, and it's hardly noticable if you drive the car right. Like Ric said, they are set up with some slack in the gears, so if you lets out of it real quick you'll feel it. As far as around a turn the only time mine clunks is in a parking lot with the wheel turned all the way to the locks and coasting. As long as it's dry and the road doesn't have a bunch of dirt on it you can take turns with a good bit of speed. I think mine is more fun to drive now, it's so easy to control a power slide.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks. but what if your doing a burn out or launching? will one wheel let go?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Absolutely NOT. The only way you'll have only one wheel putting power to the ground is if you break an axle, or get one wheel off the ground.

That last one, I speak from experience in the Jeep.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool. i guess soft locker is the way to go. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2005, 06:48 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

You may wanna check NXSLT1's thread about lockers, first. He's having troubles with his that you may want to pay attention to.