Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt problem

Well i have my stock 10 bolt w/aurburn diff and 3.23, its now making some funny clunks and sqeaks??? it was fine till i tried one street launch with stock street tires . well i did launch @ 8psi on the converter. but never move just spooling the turbo it went bang then all this noise. still moves and posi is good but makes some noise when turning and went you foot brake it . maybe someone can fill me in if they have had this prob before ?
Thanks
derek
Old 09-07-2005, 07:00 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Derek, you might of broken a spider gear, or taken some teeth off the ring and pinion. The 10 bolts used in these rears were designed for the 4 cyl Chevy Monza and the S10 trucks, and are pathetically weak. I have seen a lot of people put $700 to $800 into trying to build up the 7.5 10 bolt, only to grenade the rear. The 7.5 ring and pinion is just physically too small, and there isn't anything that can be done about it.

The best thing to do is to install a 12 bolt, which is expensive, but it will save you money in the long run. A fully optioned 12 bolt Moser is $2,295.00. Bob
Old 09-07-2005, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a pop as well when I was getting onto the highway from inside turning lane, the car wouldn't move until like 10 minutes after I started it back up and it drove normal. Has a drone in the rearend under acceleration. I took it apart w/ a mechanic and he said it looked as though the bearings were shot and will need replacing, where can I get bearings (need all of them just in case) for a 10 bolt, should I just get a 10 bolt or save up for 12 bolt (hurt my wallet).

Sorry to Hijack.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zentenk
I had a pop as well when I was getting onto the highway from inside turning lane, the car wouldn't move until like 10 minutes after I started it back up and it drove normal. Has a drone in the rearend under acceleration. I took it apart w/ a mechanic and he said it looked as though the bearings were shot and will need replacing, where can I get bearings (need all of them just in case) for a 10 bolt, should I just get a 10 bolt or save up for 12 bolt (hurt my wallet).

Sorry to Hijack.
You can get all six bearings and races from any parts house, some even sell a "kit" with seals, marking compound etc..
Put a solid spacer in there when you rebuild it. You have to rebuild it at least one time before calling it quits.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BOOSTNSS
Well i have my stock 10 bolt w/aurburn diff and 3.23, its now making some funny clunks and sqeaks??? it was fine till i tried one street launch with stock street tires . well i did launch @ 8psi on the converter. but never move just spooling the turbo it went bang then all this noise. still moves and posi is good but makes some noise when turning and went you foot brake it . maybe someone can fill me in if they have had this prob before ?
Thanks
derek
A properly rebuilt 10-bolt will last a long time if you only get on it from a roll, but when you start hitting it off the line you'll grenade it in short order.

Open it up, take a look, let the forum know what you find
Old 09-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Banned

will do going to take her apart this week end and take some pics thanks guys