Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Best way to build a rear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best way to build a rear?

I am planning on a daily driver that won't be limited to straight-line action eventually putting ~550hp to the ground. So far I've gathered that the beter choice for getting a rear setup is to get it built by a shop as opposed to getting them as-is from the manufacturer. Will this save me allot of trouble? Oh, is the Trutrac availible for any of the 12 bolt offerings? (or the 9" for that matter) I DO want to retain my ABS. Thanks
Old 09-10-2005, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truetrac is available for the 9" and 12 bolt in limited spline counts. Someone on the board has a 33 spline for a 12 bolt, although 31 spline is more common. 9" has 31 and 33 available, maybe even 35.

I think building it yourself would be the way to go based on the setup issues that have been experience coming out of some of the shops.

If you want the ABS, I hope you have a 4 ch car. If so, you should go with a Strange 12 bolt housing (has through torque arm bolts instead of blind holes) and then your choice of remaining components, although you can't go wrong with Strange.

If it is a 3 ch rear, I know someone has successfully retained the ABS by using a Ford reluctor ring on their diff - do a search and see if you can find it.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid question, what's a 3 ch v.s 4 ch? The car is a '94 TA if that matters.