Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Whine at Highway Speed when I let of gas..

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Whine at Highway Speed when I let of gas..

Hey everyone,

I'm a lid/catback 02 Camaro, and driving up an onramp the pavement went from smooth to grooved (sign to say so) and then it became smooth again, so i downshifed into 2nd to accelerate to merge with highway, and without warning the pavement dropped about 3" and since i was doing a hard acceleration, I had this nasty, nasty *CRUNCH* sound. The ABS IN-OP light, BRAKE light, OMGWTFBBQ light, and LOW TRAC (stayed on, not just temporarily on) all came on. I put it in 4th and held the clutch in, turned the car off, than back on, and all the lights went away, car was fine.

However, now at higher speeds, if I let off the gas I get this *sigh* whine, loud only directly after I let off gas, and it'll go away. What is this?

I went to the track on Saturday and did 4 passes, the sound didn't get louder and works just the same. Also, if I come to a slow stop, I hear a faint ticking sound coming from the rear also.

..ok how bad is this? Car runs and drives and shifts normal, just these couple of sounds.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
OMGWTFBBQ light,

sorry that's just really funny.

i'd take it to a shop and have them pop the cover, it sounds like something popped out of alignment.

When you burnout, do both the tires spin equally?
Old 09-25-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CrabhartLS1
sorry that's just really funny.

i'd take it to a shop and have them pop the cover, it sounds like something popped out of alignment.

When you burnout, do both the tires spin equally?
I believe so, I had a lot of rubber on my quarter panels when I left the track! I'll do a burnout tomorrow and have someone observe. What would this indicate?