Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is my 10 bolt dead or dying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my 10 bolt dead or dying?

Alright, i was driving down 85 yesterday and it sounded like something was hitting the ground and making the car jolt.. I stopped and looked under the car and nothing was touching the ground, even kicked the exhaust to make sure it was loose or anything. I kept on going and when i went to leave a rest stop it was doing it again much worse; felt like something was hitting the driveshaft, or the rear was really messed up. When i got home i looked at the rear because i didnt see anything that could be touching the driveshaft, and one side had rear end fluid on it and the other side was perfectly dry. Before this the rear never whined or anything, but it was a slamming feeling and it only really happened below 70 and was worse at lower speeds. This rear has nothing but highway miles on it since it was put in the car about 4 weeks ago. Did i blow the rear? or is it somethin else im not seeing?

Thanks alot.
Bryan
Old 10-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like what mine did when I broke carrier bolts and sent them flying around in the housing. One ended up coming out through the side and another through the rear cover. I'd open it up and check everything.