Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help with Eaton Posi questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with Eaton Posi questions

The rearend on the White T/A sounds like a box of rocks once i get over 45mph. So im guessing my diff. went out.

Im looking at buying the Eaton posi diff for my stock 10-bolt.

Is there anything else i need to buy along with the Eaton? install kit etc...

What are the chances that my gears are bad? i have 4.10's in there right now

any help is appreciated

thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, your carrier is gone. Your describing what mine sounded like. Found chunks of metal from the worm gears at the bottom of the diff.

If you're going to setup the gears yourself then you're going to need new carrier bearings and races along with pinion bearings and shims to setup the gears. Pinion seal and nut wouldn't hurt either. You can probably reuse the stock bearings if you can get them off without damaging them. Also a reluctor ring from GM. Randy's ring and pinion sells a "locking" carrier shim pack with shims down to .0065" to setup the carrier, it makes installing the shims much easier. The Ratech kit only goes down to .012-.013".

You're gears could be fine. Depends if any of the debri got caught in between the teeth and chewed them up. You won't know until you tear it apart though.

BTW I found the Eaton cheaper and Randy's than any of the sponsors but places like Thunder might price match. I think it cost $410 iirc.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my stock 10 bolt sheared 4 of the ring gear bolt heads off and sounded like that